Before & After Treatment
1) Drink plenty of water a day before, the day of, and the day after your treatment. Dehydrated follicles are more difficult to treat. Hydration will also help your skin heal more quickly.
2) If you are having electrolysis on your face, do not wear any makeup. Please remove makeup from the face before your appointment.
3) If you are having electrolysis done on your underarms, do not wear any deodorant on the day of the appointment.
4) Your diet can affect your sensitivity. Avoid stimulants like caffeine, chocolate, or sugar on the day of your appointment.
5) Avoid sun exposure on the area to be treated for 48 hours prior to your treatment to avoid dilation of the blood vessels.
6) Female clients may find that they are more sensitive during or right before their menstrual cycle and may want to avoid making appointments during that time.
7) Many clients find that taking a pain reliever 30 minutes prior to their appointment makes their treatment more comfortable.
8) Hygiene is extremely important, especially when working on private areas. Please shower before coming to your appointment.
1) Following your treatment, do not, rub, scratch, or squeeze the treated area. By touching your skin you are transferring bacteria from doorknobs, etc. to treated areas. This will cause a breakout (whiteheads).
2) Do not wear makeup over the treated area for 24 hours.
3) Avoid perfume or alcohol-based products. They will dry out your skin. You can wipe the area with witch hazel if needed. Washing your face with a mild face wash will avoid irritation.
4) Apply bacitracin, Neosporin, or another antibacterial ointment or cream to the treated area the night after your treatment. This will help your skin heal even faster, especially facial areas. Apply with Q-tips or clean hands. If your skin is still irritated on the second day, apply hydrocortisone cream (arnica, cortisone, Cortaid, anything with 1% hydrocortisone or hydrocortisone acetate). It is anti-inflammatory and will reduce redness and swelling. Also works on pimples! Ice can also be applied to the treated area to reduce any swelling if necessary.
5) Avoid excessive sweating if having work done below the neck for 24 hours. Sweat can cause bacteria to enter into the open follicles and cause minor infection. Exercise before your electrolysis appointment instead of afterward.
6) Avoid the sun for the next 72 hours to avoid the formation of brown pigment spots. Your skin defends against UV rays by producing pigment, which will deflect some of the harmful rays. If your skin is injured or traumatized it can over-produce pigment in those areas. This can result in hyperpigmentation. ALWAYS WEAR SUNSCREEN.
7) Do not swim in a chlorinated pool for the first 48 hours following treatment.
8) If small scabs appear, do not scratch them away. This can cause scarring. Allow them to fall off naturally. This is natures way of healing the follicle that we have treated (the scabs are lymph fluid that has drained out the follicle and dried up). Keeping the area moisturize will often curtail the formation of scabs. If discomfort should occur in closely treated areas apply an Epsom salt compress: Add 1 tsp. Epsom Salt to ½ cup warm water, mix and soak up with a washcloth. Lay washcloth over the treated area for 10 mins and repeat until the discomfort subsides.
9) If you are prevented from coming in as soon as you would like for your next treatment, DO NOT TWEEZE! The offending hair can be clipped off with small scissors, shaved, bleached or you can use a depilatory such as Nair.